You may have recently heard about resveratrol, most likely because this antioxidant can be found in red wine.
While achieving firmer, more youthful-looking skin by drinking a glass of wine sounds fantastic, there is also a multitude of other ways to use resveratrol to help reduce oxidative damage and inflammation, potentially achieving anti-aging effects.
Learn more about this exciting antioxidant and how our physicians, can utilize resveratrol to help you look and feel younger and healthier.
- Resveratrol is a naturally occurring antioxidant that is produced by plants.
- When vegetation is subjected to certain stressors, such as harsh sunlight or insect attacks, phytoalexin can be generated, which is also known as resveratrol.
- Not only can you find this compound in the skin of the grapes used to make red wine, you can also find it in blackberries, raspberries, pomegranate, peanuts, and other foods.
Antioxidants help to provide anti-aging effects by protecting cells against damage from free radicals, which occur when excess sun exposure combines with oxidation.
Free radicals activate enzymes in your body that break down collagen and elastin, proteins that can help to keep your skin firm, youthful, and radiant. While there are many types of antioxidants—including idebenone, which is found in many popular pharmaceutical products—resveratrol has been found to be more potent than many.
In addition to the anti-aging benefits, according to the American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, resveratrol may be able to help treat acne as well.
A recently published clinical study showed that patients who applied a gel comprised of resveratrol to one side of their face and a placebo gel to the other showed a 66.7 percent decrease in blemishes over time on the resveratrol treated side. Even greater results may be possible when this method is combined with a comprehensive skin care regimen.
A second study revealed resveratrol’s considerable potential for anti-aging benefits.
- During a 12-week clinical trial, 55 women between the ages of 45 and 60 who were experiencing common signs of aging, including mild to moderate pigmentation, skin laxity, fine lines, and wrinkles, were asked to apply SkinCeuticals Resveratrol B E serum once nightly.
- At the end, there was a statistically significant improvement in skin smoothness, elasticity, and density as compared with the control.
At Ambleside Dermedics, we are proud to offer a wide range of SkinCeuticals products, including the newly released Resveratrol B E.
Applied before bedtime, this formula comprised of 1 percent stabilized resveratrol, Vitamin E, and other beneficial ingredients can help to repair your skin and enhance the luminosity, strength, density, and elasticity for younger-looking skin without surgery.